BACK TO THE ABOUT PAGE
Daniel R. Dickson
February 2008 - Present: Arizona State University, Tempe,
Job Title: Production Manager - Student Media
Managing staff and students in the production of The
State Press, ASU's Campus
(daily) Newspaper, as well as advising and overseeing the efforts of Ch2 (student
television), Web Devil (website) and State Press Magazine. Also responsible for
marketing efforts (design and production) working with Advertising and other
entities both within Student Media and campus-wide interests..
October 2006 – January 2008: AmeriCopy, Mesa,
Job Title: Design and PrePress Manager
Managed a team of Designers and PrePress personnel in a large,
commercial printing environment. Other responsibilities include; hands-on design
and production, art direction, management and calibration of large format
December 2005 – October 2006: inVisions - Creative Marketing
Solutions, Chandler, AZ
Job Title: Creative Director
Helped to establish the company with responsibilities being brand identity,
marketing material, design and production of product media, website design – creation – and
maintenance, and online ordering.
April 2004 – December 2004: High Tech Institute, Phoenix,
Job Title: Digital Design Instructor
Part-time instructor in the Digital Design (Associates Degree) Program.
Instruction ranging from General Design Basics to Multimedia.
January 1996 – November 2001: Alpha Omega Publications, Chandler,
Job Title: Director of Creative Services
Duties include: Managing a staff of 20 individuals; artists, designers,
and multimedia personnel in the creation and production of material for a wide
range of CD-ROM, Internet, and paper-based educational products. Personally
responsible for package design and corporate identity projects and coordinating
efforts with senior management.
August 1981 – December 1995: Subia Corporation, Phoenix,
Job Title: Illustrator/Computer Graphics Specialist
Designed and produced artwork for a wide variety of clients ranging from
corporate to small business. Illustration: Airbrush, pencil, pen and ink, mixed
media, cartooning, photo-retouching.
1981 – 2006 Dickson Creative Services, LLC, Phoenix,
Job Title: Owner/Creative Director
Dickson Creative Services, LLC, has been a freelance resource to area businesses
for over 20 years. Personal duties include management of subcontractors (as
needed), art direction of projects, and hands-on production.
July 1977 – July 1981: E.F. Johnson, Co., Waseca,
Job Title: Senior Graphic Arts Specialist
Designed and produced print and multimedia materials for corporate marketing
and internal training. Responsibilities included; photography, illustration,
cartooning and audio recording / editing.
Computer Graphics Applications:
Latest versions of: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign,
Quark Xpress, Dreamweaver, and MS Office products along with
several miscellaneous and proprietary applications (both current Macintosh
and Windows platforms and OS).
Skills and Demonstrated Expertise:
Project and Product Management
1. Established, coordinated, and maintained the archiving process of all
art, multimedia, and audio/video files to CD (as well as a network portfolio)
incorporating a database application for easy retrieval.
2. Defined and determined project parameters based upon resource availability
and estimated task assessments (incorporating some aspects of MSProject).
3. Lead designer in most packaging, marketing materials relative to actual
product development, as well as logo development (corporate identity programs)
4. Defined and incorporated the position of Aesthetics Coordinator as part
of our production procedure to maintain high levels of quality assurance.
5. Defined a network-accessible labor allocations database for the department,
which was implemented by internal programmers.
6. Defined both the paper-based as well as a network accessible Input Request
Form for both specific departmental and corporate-wide use.
Teamwork and Leadership
1. Developed both the departmental Job Title (responsibilities and capabilities),
as well as personnel policies for Creative Services.
2. Served on the corporate policy development committee.
3. Served as chairperson of a company-wide communications committee and
developed a communications model for problem solving and decision-making.
4. Have served as a youth counselor for both church and school-related
5. Achieved the rank of Eagle Scout (B.S.A) during my high school years.
1. Strong conventional skills (pre computer-aided), which are demonstrated
in more effective concept and design abilities.
2. Have used applications
such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator since their first version release.
Experienced the onset of desktop publishing
in its early stages.
3. Have worked in nearly every area of the visual communications field
from graphics, illustration, cartooning, layout and design, audio/video
(pre and post production), 3D graphics and animation, print, CD, and web
4. The ability to learn new applications for both production and management-related
tasks as needed. Experienced in both Mac and PC platforms, in both network
and desktop environments.
1978-79: Mankato Area Vocational Technical Institute*, Mankato
- Course Title: Commercial Art and Illustration. Includes; Layout
and Design, Fashion Illustration, Photo-Retouching, Mixed media, Photography.
1976-77: Willmar Area Vocational Technical
Institute*, Willmar, Minnesota
- Course Title: Technical Art and Illustration. Includes; Technical
Rendering, Orthographic and Perspective Drawing, Assembly Drawing, Photography.
* Both schools have changed their names and affiliations